Friday 11 April 2014

Let the voter vote!

    Majority of us by this point of time 'by heart' know what 'by the people, of the people and for the people' means. Exactly. DEMOCRACY. And so, yesterday I finally became a part of this democratic process in India.You see I, for the very first time got my finger inked. The experience was great. I felt empowered. Instead of just criticizing repeatedly about the same old things, its refreshing to exercise the power bestowed by the Constitution .

Since I happen to be doing a postgraduate course from my home state only, I was lucky enough to
exercise my vote. But not many people share my luck. In India, people tend to leave their home towns in search of better academic and job prospects. They are unable to commute back for a day to their home town in order to cast their vote. The reasons differ and these may or may not be rational. The unfortunate part is that majority of this age group Wants to vote but cannot.Why? Just because they are studying or earning their bread and butter in a place within India but not their home state. That is enough to prevent them from voting.

In my own batch at IIMC Jammu, out of 13 people only one was able to vote. Rest of them couldn't since they do not belong to the state. Imagine what difference those 12 votes would have made.This is not just about those 12 votes but there are many such 12-vote stories. Such stories can certainly play a crucial role in deciding the main players of the government.

What I fail to understand is the rationale behind the absence of a flexible system of voting where Indian citizens could avail their right through out length and breadth of the country. Not only would this improve the voting percentage (which is needed also) but subsequently ensure an increase in participation.

Not much can be done to forcibly get a registered voter to the polling station. But I am sure constructive steps can be taken to get the polling station to a willing registered voter. Let's empower each voter irrespective of his/her geographical location and ensure that in the end India, The democracy emerges as the winner.

10 comments:

  1. As a matter of fact they can, I dont know if its implemented for everybody,But defence personnel can vote at their places of posting effective from 2014 lok sabha elections. Recent EC diective !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its a fact that defence personnel can vote from their own respective posting areas and this doesnt expends to any other profession, but I was not talking about these personnel. Instead I was talking about a common student, professional minus the personnel. I should have mentioned about this aspect earlier in my post.

      Delete
  2. Anyone with a common sense could have noticed this but see common sense isnt common at all these days.
    If we count all the spheres , number is huge. Remedies have been given in one way or another but somehow they arent feasible. Like, anyone residing at other than hometown can get himself registered there as a voter but it means registering every couple of year on an average from one place and another. With the help of BJP and few NGO's problem could be solved for Forces. A couple of days ago i came across a group of 25 NRI's who were finding a way to cast their vote without coming to India.
    Aadhar card could have been the solution which congress and Mr. Nilekani turned into a disaster. (I know you would like to ask 'How" but that would need a detailed discussion)
    A good write up. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to only that Why only with BJP's help? I mean why did you deeviate from a generic system and identified a particular group.
    And thankyou.Keep visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The content reveals the pathetic condition of india............u r d lucky one to vote.....i also wanted to.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lets hope that an initiative in this is taken and then one day every willing voter can vote irrespective of its geographical location.

      Delete
  5. I said few NGO's. as well. I said BJP coz they had initiated a signature campaign under Rajyawardhan singh rathore and sent it to EC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that impractical but I hope that they can convert their words into action sooner or later.

      Delete
  6. Hello Sumeda,
    I loved your article. It has been presented in an amazing way and hit the point on spot.Let me first introduce myself. This is Shivam from Skit Hub(www.skithub.com) and we would love you to have you in our team as guest/full time blogger. Take a look at the Website and reply on skithub718@gmail,com if you would like to work with us.
    Looking back to hearing from you!

    Regards,
    Shivam

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its almost arduous to argue with you. You positively put a brand new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

    ReplyDelete